Sunday, December 21, 2008

Frugality is for winners

Frugal folks know what they want. Then they buy it when it's cheap as chips.

A few years ago I was living in NYC. Rent was high, and I looked to save whenever I could. Rite Aid had a Raisin Bran Sale (it was all over the papers). So I bought 10 boxes.

I learned about consumption smoothing in undergraduate economics, and while my logic in this case may be fallacious, my understanding of the principle makes me a savvy consumer. Sometimes a short-term cash outlay will pay dividends down the road, as your average cost will drop. So, when a product you'll use is on sale, buy it! Maybe buy a lot of it. Just be aware not to eat / use more than you normally would because the desired product is readily available. I call this the Costco fallacy.

Where do you look for sales? What do you buy in advance or in bulk?

No comments: